Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Burgh'ers

A couple of weeks ago we were in the North Hills and it got to be about dinner time so we started trying to figure out where to go. I guess the North Hills seems so far away to me from where I live that I assumed it had to be close to Burgh'ers so I suggested it to SP and he agreed. We had been wanting to see how this burger joint compared to Burgatory (and The Urban Tap, which we had tried in January). When he pulled up directions on the GPS, we were 40 minutes away - not exactly close by!
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but we nearly drove right past it. We pulled into a strip mall lot to turn around and luckily, there it was. We were seated right away. There is minimal decor inside, but the orange-red wall color and wood colors are cozy and welcoming. It seems to draw a lot of families - parents and kids out for a Saturday night burger.
Happily, they serve fresh brewed iced tea. They also had a North Country beer on tap and served it in a beer can shaped glass.
We decided to start off with an order of pierogies. They are served with sauerkraut and sour cream, which is great for us because I like my pierogies with sour cream while SP dislikes sour cream but likes sauerkraut, which I dislike. These were tasty pierogies.
When we go to burger places, we usually do not order beef burgers. I prefer chicken or, at Burgatory, the crab, while SP likes game. At Burgh'ers, I opted for the Shadyside burger with chicken. The Shadyside burger comes with Swiss, sauteed onions, sauteed mushrooms, and mayo. Oh my gosh - this was so good! I do not like raw onion, but when onions are slowly sauteed to a golden brown color, they are so darn good. Mushrooms and Swiss are a classic combination, always tasty together. I chose the salad for my side. It was quite good - mixed greens, tiny cubes of onion and cucumber, carrot shreds, blue cheese, red pepper.
SP got the Fox Chapel with wild game (buffalo). It had goat cheese, pickled onions, spring mix, and balsamic reduction. For his side he chose the rosemary fries, which he loved. He really liked his burger, too, especially the pickled onions, which are a favorite food of his lately as he's had them at several restaurants lately.
There isn't a large dessert selection. There are some milkshakes, but it was way too cold for us to enjoy a milkshake. We decided to try the daily dessert special, a Toasted Almond Lemon Cake. I liked the cake and icing but I let SP eat all the toasted almonds since I don't really like nuts on my desserts (he does).

Our server was great, the food yummy (local & organic), and we would definitely go back. It's not actually that far from where we live, about 30-35 minutes, and while some might think that's far, and it probably is in terms of miles (GPS says 31 miles), it's not in terms of time since it can take us that long (or longer) to get into the city for dinner.

Plus, I didn't finish all my burger, and around 10 pm that night when I found myself unable to stop thinking about the sauteed onions and mushrooms, I went ahead and finished the sandwich. So good. The 10 pm leftover binge is definitely a sign of how tasty it is.

Burgh'ers on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment