Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Olive Or Twist

Last Saturday we went to see We Will Rock You at the Benedum. It was really good, a lot of fun, and I knew more of the Queen songs than I expected - but it was really LOUD! After the show, we walked around for a bit and then headed over to Olive Or Twist for dinner. It was a new-to-us place plus we had a City Dining Card.
Inside it's cozy and inviting, with lots of exposed brick walls, candles on the tables, and dark colored furniture. Our table was right next to an exposed steel beam that was stamped Carnegie - that made us wonder about the age of the beam and the building!
Drinks: we decided to try two of the cocktails, especially since Olive Or Twist is known for its martinis - but we ended up not choosing martinis. SP chose Suit & Tie (tequila, agave nectar, triple sec, bitters. lemon juice, topped with ginger beer). I chose Jameson's Ginger (Jameson's Irish whiskey, ginger syrup, ginger ale). I really liked mine - then again, I like whiskey cocktails and I like ginger beer/ale. SP liked his drink, too, but since I do not really like tequila or agave nectar, I didn't really like the sip I had.
SP started with the soup special: Lobster Bisque:
Very good bisque. Or maybe I was just hungry and cold so it tasted extra good. I had to control myself and not eat all of his soup. Instead, I patiently waited for my meal: Three Cheese Sandwich & Tomato Soup:
Delicious tomato and basil soup. I enjoyed dunking the grilled cheddar, Swiss and mozzarella on sourdough with tomato into the tomato soup.
There is something so tasty, so comforting, so wonderful about grilled cheese dipped in tomato soup. It was a filling meal, but not too filling.
SP chose Crab Cakes served with broccoli for his meal:
He said the crabs cakes were filled with lots of crab and fried nicely. He ate them all.
I decided to try one of the sweet martinis for dessert. I didn't think I should drink an entire one myself, so SP agreed to share. I chose the S'Mores Martini: s'mores vodka, toasted marshmallow syrup, Godiva chocolate liquor, served with a marshmallow coated in chocolate and dipped in graham cracker crumbs. The rim was coated in chocolate and very finely crushed graham cracker crumbs.
This was amazing! It was not as sweet as I expected and it definitely had s'mores flavor. I loved the teeny graham crumbs on the rim. It didn't take me long to inhale this. SP got a bite of marshmallow and a sip of the drink. He was driving anyway, so of course I should drink the majority of it, right?!

This was a nice change for us. It was a bit more casual then where we usually end up after a show. It was nice to have a satisfying & tasty soup & sandwich meal with terrific cocktails. Our server was wonderful, very friendly. She asked if we were on our way to a show, which is nice since restaurants in the area do fill up before a show and people don't like to be late if they are headed to one. We weren't rushed. I'd like to go back to try some of the other martinis - like the tiramisu one or the chocolate covered pretzel one. Or the Cinnamon Manhattan.

Olive Or Twist on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. The tomato soup and grilled cheese look delicious. I have walked past Oliver or Twist and never tried it so I will add this to my list of must try places.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete