Monday, September 2, 2013

Tartine

My mom's time here in Pittsburgh has come to an end. She was here 12-13 weeks. She probably could have gone home a couple of weeks ago, but she wanted to stay until the surgeon said the fracture was healed. As soon as we knew it was, she called my dad and they plotted her escape from Pittsburgh! Before she left, we went to lunch at a new place: Tartine in the West End.
Tartine is a French cafe that opened in the space formerly known as Cozy Cafe. It is only open Monday-Friday 8am~2 pm with weekend brunch coming soon. (I think Sunday brunch started this past Sunday.)
It's just as cute inside as Cozy Cafe was, but the color scheme is completely different and now there are photos of France hanging on the walls and cute window flower boxes. We were seated right away, next to a window, and ordered fresh brewed iced teas, which arrived in these glasses with a small fleur de lis on the side:
My mom opted for the Pan Bagnat de Poulet - poached chicken breast, tarragon, vinaigrette, nicoise, marinated tomato, hard cooked egg, pressed in baguette.
For her side, she chose the Pommes Lyonnaise - fried potatoes with onions.
The potatoes were delicious. Not too greasy, cooked through, just enough onion. Mom said her sandwich was very good and she was quite happy with her choice. I didn't try any of it, but she ate the entire sandwich so it must have been good.
I chose the Croque Monsieur - ham, gruyere, dijon, bechamel, tomato, grilled bread. There was a lot of thick sliced ham, delicious and melty gruyere, and a mustardy, creamy bechamel that was so good I think I could eat it with a spoon out of a pot! For my side, I got the small garden salad - fresh greens with a lemon vinaigrette:
The sandwiches were filling, but in spite of being full, we wanted to try one of the desserts. We chose Peche Tartine - fresh peaches, basil, creme fraiche, toasted almond, local honey, grilled country bread.
It was tasty. Sweet. I loved the thin peach slices (I love thinly sliced fruits and vegetables). My high school French has left my mind, and I keep thinking that tartine means tart, but a quick search informs me that a tartine is traditionally an open faced sandwich but today describes any French sandwich preparation and can be fruits, vegetable, meat, cheese. This was indeed an open faced sandwich with fruit.
I really liked Tartine. It's not far from where we live. It's cute and relaxing inside. The owner came around to every table and introduced himself and chatted for a while. I would definitely go back.

*If you go, note that it is cash only. There is an ATM down the street a bit, but always better to be prepared.


Tartine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment