Monday, April 29, 2013

Nicky's Thai Kitchen

A couple of weekends ago was our final Broadway Season show, 'Anything Goes.' That means it was our final 'meet S & R for dinner after our show/before their show.' S had expressed interest in trying Nicky's Thai Kitchen and I knew SP would love to go out for Thai, so I agreed even though the menu wasn't especially appealing to me. Sadly, I do not like Thai cuisine because I do not like coconut, curry, spiciness, garlic, cilantro, peanuts, lemongrass, pineapple...

Anyway, we went to the Nicky's location on Penn Avenue. Our reservations were for 5:30 and we were seated right away. They are BYOB, but we didn't BYOB.

I decided my best option was to order several appetizers. Here's what I ate:  
Crispy Egg Rolls: These were good, but I didn't really taste any of the filling. Actually, they reminded me of cigarette russes cookies. I wouldn't order these again.

Crab Rangoon: Delicious. R thought these were the best she has eaten in Pittsburgh, and I think I agree with her.

Steamed Dumplings: These were my favorite of the 3 appetizers I ordered. The dipping sauce was delicious sweet and sour soy sauce with sesame seeds.

I felt like I needed something else and at first I thought a side of rice, but then I decided on a side of steamed noodles. This was a mistake because they were way too stuck together and bland to really enjoy. SP ended up eating them with the sauce of his meal at dinner and then for lunch leftovers the next day. I should have ordered rice. Or nothing, since I was pretty stuffed after the appetizers.

SP's Tom Kha Soup. He really likes this soup and thought that Nicky's version was tasty.

SP's Massaman Curry with mixed seafood. There were a lot of seafood chunks, large scallops, shrimp, fish, etc. He got it at a spice level 6 and said it was spicy but not too spicy and not as spicy as he has ordered in the past. It was a large portion, so he took some of it home.

Rice for SP with his curry and for S with his catfish dish. We called it the holy grail of rice!
So here's the thing: I just don't like the predominant flavors/ingredients of Thai food. I am happy to eat several appetizers and I thought the ones I ordered were very good. R also ordered appetizers (crab rangoon, dumplings, and shrimp toast) and Tom Kha soup and she enjoyed her choices. S enjoyed his soup and some of R's dumplings, but I think he found his catfish dish a little too spicy and a little too salty. SP said his food was good. So if you like Thai, you'll probably like Nicky's, it gets good reviews. If you don't like Thai, you can probably still fill up enough on several appetizers, depending on how large an appetite you have.

Service was quite good, friendly, water glasses were kept filled, nothing to complain about there.

SP would go back. I would go back if a group of friends wanted to go there, but like any Thai restaurant, it just isn't going to be my first choice. But if you do like Thai, based on comments from other friends, Nicky's is a solid choice.

  Nicky's Thai Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment