Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fuji Sushi

A couple of weekends ago, when we had the "Where do you want to go for dinner?" discussion, we knew we didn't want to go into the city. We initially decided to try Arpino Trattoria. We called to see if a reservation was necessary/if we could get a reservation, but since only 5 pm or 8 pm were available, we passed on trying Arpino. We next narrowed it down to two places: Cucina Bella or Fuji Sushi.
That's basically Yum Yum vs. SP. I will always take Italian/pizza over sushi. SP will always want the sushi. I left the decision up to SP, promising that whichever place we did not go to, we would go to the following weekend. And that's how we found ourselves at Fuji Sushi on Steubenville Pike after an afternoon showing of The Amazing Spider-Man.
It was around 5:15 pm when we got there. We were the only people, although by the time we left 4-5 more tables were filled. People are always shocked when they find out I lived in Japan for two years but I do not like fish and will not eat sushi/sashimi. I can barely stand eating cooked fish, so there's no way I'm going to eat raw fish.
Our meal started off with miso soup. I gave mine to SP because, prepare for more shock, I dislike miso soup. SP polished off two soups and said they were pretty tasty. Miso soup is just stock & miso paste, maybe some tofu, maybe some scallions, so it's hard to say much about the soup other than it's miso soup.
Next up was my salad. Iceberg lettuce, carrot shreds, cucumber slices, and a sweet, gingery, too strong for me dressing. I ate 2-3 bites and then passed it over to SP, who really liked the dressing.
I wanted to try an order of gyoza. I've been on a search for gyoza like the ones I ate in Kyoto, and by that I mean a thin dumpling, not the thick, doughy dumplings served at Chinese restaurants and some Japanese restaurants. These were thin - yay! - and pretty tasty.
SP ordered sushi. I forget which special plate, but he said there was shrimp, 2 tuna, 2 salmon (or maybe 1 salmon & 1 looks like salmon), a whitefish, and a crab piece.
He said it was good, better than a lot of sushi, but not the best he's ever had, not even the best he has had in Pittsburgh.
Not liking sushi, I ordered chicken teppanyaki. It was pretty much what I expected. The rice in Japanese restaurants in the US is never as sticky and tasty as the rice I had in Japan. The vegetables were fine. The chicken & sauce was OK. I could have made this myself at home, so in that respect I found it disappointing because I felt it should have had that extra, always missing when I try to make Japanese food at home ingredient/taste.
For his special roll, SP chose the Oh My God roll, which is brought to the table wrapped in foil and set on fire by a blowtorch.
 It's always kind of fun to have your food flaming on your table when you dine out.
 It flamed for quite some time and then SP finally unwrapped it.
 It's tenpura shrimp, crabmeat, eel, sushi shrimp, avocado, three sauces.
He didn't find it quite as amazingly tasty as other reviewers on Urbanspoon/Yelp, but said it was definitely interesting.

On the basis of my meal alone, I gave Fuji Sushi a 'don't like' on Urbanspoon, only because I've lived in Japan and I've had teppanyaki there and I know what I can make at home, and in that respect, I was disappointed. I cannot give an opinion on the sushi since I do not eat sushi.

I would not go back. SP might go back. We agreed that there are other Japanese places we would like to try again or for the first time to see how I like the non-sushi offerings (Kiku, Chaya). Fuji Sushi on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. We went there a few months ago and I thought it was ok. Have you tried Yama in Beaver? We really like it there. The lunch specials are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect place for you to go is to Teppanyaki Kyoto. I was there not too long ago.

    http://pittsburghfoodscene.blogspot.com/2012/06/teppanyaki-kyoto-in-highland-park.html

    ReplyDelete