Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Osteria 2350

Saturday evening, we decided to try a new place for dinner: Osteria 2350. I've been wanting to try this place for quite some time but we were so busy for a few months with the house project and then family stuff that we never seemed to have any time for a proper 'date night' or to even take the time to drive somewhere besides Robinson for dinner. Even our anniversary dinner felt crammed in and I seem to remember sitting at that dinner thinking of everything we still had to do and wondering why were at dinner when we should be out doing errands or home doing chores! Fortunately, we seem to have more free time these days and we have been able to have some very nice 'dates' the past 2 weeks.

We arrived at Osteria 2350 a bit before 6 pm. It’s on Railroad Street, next to the restaurant Cioppino, and across from The Cork Factory apartments. There's a parking garage right there – and the restaurant will validate your parking ticket. We parked in that garage, took the elevator down, turned right, walked a couple of steps and reached the front door. It wasn't too crowded yet, maybe 3 other tables filled with diners. There is a sign in the entrance way telling diners to please seat themselves. so we chose a table and settled in. A server quickly came over and filled our water glasses, leaving a bottle of water on the table for refills. There is a wine list, but SP & I opted for iced teas.When you walk in, there's a long glass counter along the back wall, and it gives off a deli feel to me. At first, I thought that you ordered at the counter and they brought your food to you, but that's not the case. In addition to some chalkboard menus posted around the restaurant, the menu is printed on the paper placemats, one side for food, the other for beverages. I thought the place felt comfortable and inviting in a no frills but not sterile way. Soon enough our server brought a bread basket: There were 2 pieces of a baguette and 2 pieces of another kind of bread which I really, really enjoyed. Our server also brought some dipping oil:The dipping oil was delicious! I asked about the dipping oil. She said they buy the olive oil in The Strip and make their own pesto which they then add to the olive oil. The bread soaking up the olive oil was so tasty - I could have eaten two bread baskets and been happy and full!

SP ordered the Pickled Vegetables to start:He said they were very tasty, but also very vinegary. I think it was cauliflower and squash and a bit of red pepper. I didn’t try any.

I opted for the Arugula Salad (arugula, roasted red pepper, gorgonzola, balsamic vinaigrette):It was very good. I like that the arugula was small. The balsamic was definitely there, but it was barely noticeable, which is nice with a salad dressing.

We originally intended to share two dishes for our entrees, but in the end we ended up just tasting each other’s meals. SP ended up with the Riccolina Pasta (fede pasta, caramelized mushrooms, arugula, truffle oil, parmiagiano reggiano):I liked this pasta but didn’t love it. SP really liked it. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him enjoy a pasta dish as much as he enjoyed this one! I have a sort of like-dislike relationship with truffle oil. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, and it's not really a quality or quantity of truffle oil issue but more of just my mood. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for that truffle oil taste, and I think that was the case Saturday evening. I also thought I detected garlic taste, which SP didn't really notice, but... I enjoyed my 3-4 bites, I just couldn't eat half of the dish. But the pasta was addictive, as were the mushrooms. I think it was the broth like sauce I didn't especially enjoy.

The other meal choice, the one that ended up being 'mine,' was the Prosciutto Sandwich (prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper, balsamic):This was very tasty and huge! I ate only half (SP had a few bites) and took the rest of it home. It’s simple, but the ingredients are so fresh and tasty that it seems extra tasty and special, a kind of magic to making this simple sandwich.Of course we ordered dessert! No way was I going to pass up Tiramisu:I thought this was a very good tiramisu. Soft, light, creamy, all those delicious tiramisu flavors. Yum!SP opted for the Cannoli:The filling had orange zest in it, something I really enjoy, and one end was covered in chocolate shavings while the other end was covered in chopped pistachios. I'm not a fan of pistachios, so SP ate that end and I ate the chocolate end! We enjoyed the cannoli so much that we ordered another one to go for later in the evening!

We both really enjoyed Osteria 2350. For 3 desserts, 2 iced teas, pickled vegetables, salad, sandwich, and pasta plus tax + tip, I think our total bill was around $47 and change. Not too bad for all that tasty food. We’d definitely go there again.

Our server was very friendly, made some recommendations, promptly refilled beverages. All of the tables and the bar area were filled when we left around 7 pm and there was maybe 1 group waiting for a table. We definitely didn't feel rushed. It felt a bit off the beaten path, and that was a nice feeling. I'm looking forward to our next visit.
Osteria 2350 on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I had a very bad experience at Osteria 2350. The food was good, but the service made us not want to ever come back. Our server quickly dropped a bottle of water on out table leaving it to us to pour our own drinks, and never even introduced herself. It was a struggle to ask for anything without an attitude in return. My suggestion..go there for the food and get take out, or don't sit in the red head's section.

    ReplyDelete